Sites of Jewish Life in Berlin
1933-1945: Persecution and Assertion of Jewish Identity
A Smartphone Application and a Web Site
From mid-October 2012 to June 2014 a smartphone application and a web site which focus on Jewish life in Berlin between 1933 and 1945 were developed under Prof. Dr. Gudrun Görlitz.
An interdisciplinary network of technicians and historians used to work together for the first time to find new uses of smartphone technology in such spheres as history and education, particularly that related to one of the most important subjects in contemporary German history. The results are invaluable to people involved in historical and political education and to tourists.
The former building of the Jewish Cultural Association (Jüdischer Kulturbund), Kommandantenstr. 57 (left) and the same site in 2013 (right).
The Jewish Cultural Association (1933-1944) served to preserve Jewish Culture, in spite of Nazi-rules.
Sources: akg-images, Berlin (left); Beuth Hochschule (right).
View of Rosenthaler Strasse in the early 1930s (left) and the present view of the court of the former Otto Weidt Blind Men´s Workshop (Blindenwerkstatt Otto Weidt), Rosenthaler Str. 39, (right).
Jewish workers in the workshop who were at risk of deportation could be kept in hiding for short periods.
Sources: Bernd Eickemeyer collection, Berlin (left); Beuth Hochschule (right).